CDK500 Observatory System
Enjoy exceptional optical and tracking performance for astrophotography, or research, with the CDK500 package! Includes a CDK20 optical tube and L-500 mount.
- CDK20 optical tube:
- f/6.8 and 3454mm focal length
- No coma, no off-axis astigmatism, and no field curvature.
- Pinpoint stars across a 52mm image circle.
- Rock solid fused silica mirrors with low thermal expansion.
- Carbon fiber optical tube assembly for rigidity and fast cooling.
- Simple secondary mirror collimation thanks to the fixed primary mirror.
- L-500 direct drive mount:
- Zero periodic error, zero backlash, and minimal maintenance due to the lack of gears.
- Slew speeds up to 50 degrees/sec for satellite tracking and fast target acquisition.
- Sidereal tracking accuracy of < 0.30 arcseconds RMS over 5 minutes.
- High resolution optical encoders on both axes for precision feedback.
- Can be installed in either equatorial, or alt/az configuration.
- Includes PWI4 software (ASCOM compliant) for mount control.
The PlaneWave Instruments CDK20 is a 20 inch (0.51 m) f/6.8 Corrected Dall-Kirkham Astrograph telescope. The CDK20 has a dual carbon-fiber truss design, with 3 cooling fans ejecting air from the back of the telescope. The CDK20 covers a 52 mm field of view without any field curvature, off-axis coma, or astigmatism. The instrument weight is 140 lbs (64 kg) and comes standard with a back plate retaining ring ready to accept the focuser of your choice.
All CDK20 telescopes come with fused silica primary and secondary mirrors.
The L-Series combines versatility, simplicity and affordability by combining all the technology of our Observatory class telescopes into a compact stand-alone mount. In its Alt/Az configuration it is considerably more compact than its equatorial counterpart, allowing a larger telescope to fit in a smaller enclosure. The mass it takes to make a rigid alt/az mount is substantially less, leading to cost savings. Unlike German Equatorial mounts, there are no meridian flips to deal with, and no large protruding counterweights to create a dangerous hazard in a public observatory. Alt/Az is more intuitive to use and no polar alignment is needed. Besides, it is the way the pros do it!
L-Series Mount Features:
- Direct-drive motors on each axis for smooth, fast, and virtually silent movement of the telescope
- Slew speeds up to 50 degrees per second
- High resolution encoders on each axis for precise positioning
- Zero backlash
- Zero periodic error
- PointXP mount modeling software
- Enclosed electronics
- Through the mount cabling
CDK-500 + Core Accessories:
|200130Q||CDK-500 (CDK20 / L-500)||$47,000|
|600180||IRF90 Rotating Focuser||$ 4,500|
|200901||EFA, Focuser Accessory Control||$ 800|
|Type||Alt-Azimuth / Equatorial Direct Drive Mount|
|Weight||257 lbs (100 kg)|
|Component Weights||Azimuth Base – 121 lbs, Fork Arm – 136 lbs|
|Max. Load Capacity||200 lbs (91 kg)|
|Latitude Range||0 to 90 degrees, Northern and Southern hemispheres|
|Cable Management||Equipment cables can be wired through mount|
|Control Electronics||PlaneWave Interface dual axis telescope control|
|User Interface||PlaneWave Interface 4 (PWI4) Control Software with integrated PointXP mount modeling software|
|Homing Sensors||Home position sensors are included allowing the mount can find its home position on power up.|
|Slew Rate||20 degrees per second (standard); 50 degrees per second (maximum), both axes|
|Power Requirement||Accepts 120 VAC. Supplied with 12VDC 15A Regulated Power Adapter|
|Aperture||20 inch (508 mm)|
|Focal Length||3454 mm (135.98 inch)|
|Central Obstruction||39% of the Primary Mirror Diameter|
|Back Focus from Racked in Focuser||5.8 inch (147 mm)|
|Weight||140 lbs (63.5 kg)|
|Motor Control||Industrial grade brushless motor control system and built in electronics|
|Motor – Azimuth and Altitude||Direct Drive 3 Phase Axial-Flux Torque Motors|
|Encoder – Azimuth and Altitude||152mm stainless steel encoder ring with reader built into the azimuth and altitude axes. 18,880,000 counts per revolution (0.069 arcsecond resolution).|
|Motor Torque||Approximately 20 ft-lbs continuous; 50 ft-lbs peak|
|Drive Electronics||Industrial grade, off-the-shelf brushless motor drives for each axis with custom designed interface card|
|Telescope Control Software||PlaneWave Interface (PWI4). Incorporates PointXP mount modeling software by Dave Rowe. Provides HTTP and ASCOM control interfaces.|
|Pointing Accuracy||<10 arcsecond RMS with PointXP Model|
2 arcseconds at sidereal velocity
< 0.3 arcseconds over a 5 minute period at sidereal velocity
|System Natural Frequency||10 Hz or greater|
For warranty information please check our Standard Warranty Page