CDK300 Observatory System
*Price is based on PlaneWave’s Pricing Policy
Enjoy exceptional optical and tracking performance for astrophotography, or research, with the CDK350 package! Includes a CDK12.5 optical tube and L-350 mount.
- CDK12.5 optical tube:
- f/8 and 2541mm focal length.
- No coma, no off-axis astigmatism, and no field curvature.
- Pinpoint stars across a 52mm image circle.
- Rock solid fused silica mirrors with low thermal expansion.
- Carbon fiber optical tube assembly for rigidity and fast cooling.
- Simple secondary mirror collimation thanks to the fixed primary mirror.
- L-350 direct drive mount:
- Zero periodic error, zero backlash, and minimal maintenance due to the lack of gears.
- Slew speeds up to 50 degrees/sec for satellite tracking and fast target acquisition.
- Sidereal tracking accuracy of < 0.30 arcseconds RMS over 5 minutes.
- High-resolution optical encoders on both axes for precision feedback.
- Can be installed in either equatorial or alt/az configuration.
- Includes PWI4 software (ASCOM compliant) for mount control.
The PlaneWave Instruments CDK12.5 is a 12.5-inch (318 mm) f/8 Corrected Dall-Kirkham Astrograph telescope. The CDK12.5 has a dual carbon-fiber truss design, with 3 cooling fans ejecting air from the back of the telescope, and 4 fans blowing across the boundary layer of the mirror’s surface. The CDK12.5 covers a 52 mm field of view without any field curvature, off-axis coma, or astigmatism. The instrument weight is 46 lbs (20.9 kg) and comes standard with a backplate retaining ring ready to accept the focuser of your choice.
All CDK12.5 telescopes come with fused silica primary and secondary mirrors.
The L-Series combines versatility, simplicity, and affordability by combining all the technology of our Observatory class telescopes into a compact stand-alone mount. In its Alt/Az configuration, it is considerably more compact than its equatorial counterpart, allowing a larger telescope to fit in a smaller enclosure. The mass it takes to make a rigid alt/az mount is substantially less, leading to cost savings. Unlike German Equatorial mounts, there are no meridian flips to deal with, and no large protruding counterweights to create a dangerous hazard in a public observatory. Alt/Az is more intuitive to use and no polar alignment is needed. Besides, it is the way the pros do it!
L-Series Mount Features:
- Direct-drive motors on each axis for smooth, fast, and virtually silent movement of the telescope
- Slew speeds up to 50 degrees per second
- High-resolution encoders on each axis for precise positioning
- Zero backlash
- Zero periodic error
- PointXP mount modeling software
- Enclosed electronics
- Through the mount cabling
|Type||Alt-Azimuth / Equatorial Direct-Drive Mount|
|Weight||110 lbs (50kg)|
|Component Weights||Azimuth Base – 40 lbs, Fork Arm – 70 lbs|
|Max. Load Capacity||100 lbs (45 kg)|
|Latitude Range||0 to 90 degrees, Northern and Southern hemispheres|
|Cable Management||Equipment cables can be wired through mount|
|Control Electronics||PlaneWave Interface dual axis telescope control|
|User Interface||PlaneWave Interface 4 (PWI4) Control Software with integrated PointXP mount modeling software|
|Homing Sensors||Home position sensors are included allowing the mount to find its home position on power up.|
|Slew Rate||20 degrees per second (standard); 50 degrees per second (maximum), both axes|
|Power Requirement||Accepts 120 to 240 VAC. Supplied with 120 VAC 15A IEC Type B Regulated Power Adapter|
|Aperture||12.5 inch (318 mm)|
|Focal Length||2541 mm (100.04 inch)|
|Central Obstruction||42% of the primary mirror diameter|
|Back Focus from Mounting Surface||10.445 inch (265 mm)|
|Back Focus from Racked in Focuser||7.2 inch (183 mm)|
|OTA Length||31-inch (787 mm)|
|Optical Tube||Carbon fiber|
|Dimensions||Overall Dimensions (PDF)|
|Weight (includes manual-focuser and dovetail)||46 lbs (20.9 kg)|
|Weight (includes electronic-focuser and dovetail)||48.5 lbs (22.0 kg)|
|Optimal Field of View||52mm image circle|
|Motor Control||Industrial grade brushless motor control system and built-in electronics|
|Motor – Azimuth and Altitude||Direct Drive 3 Phase Axial-Flux Torque Motors|
|Encoder – Azimuth and Altitude||152mm stainless steel encoder ring with reader built into the azimuth and altitude axes. 18,880,000 counts per revolution (0.069-arcsecond resolution).|
|Motor Torque||Approximately 20 ft-lbs continuous; 50 ft-lbs peak|
|Drive Electronics||Industrial grade, off-the-shelf brushless motor drives for each axis with custom-designed interface card|
|Telescope Control Software||PlaneWave Interface (PWI4). Incorporates PointXP mount modeling software by Dave Rowe. Provides HTTP and ASCOM control interfaces. MaxIm DL is required for camera control when building a pointing model within our PWI4 software.|
|Pointing Accuracy||<10 arcsecond RMS with PointXP Model|
2 arcseconds at sidereal velocity
0.3 arcseconds over a 5-minute period at sidereal velocity
|System Natural Frequency||10 Hz or greater|
For warranty information please check our Standard Warranty Page
|Heating elements for dew prevention||The heating pads on the primary and secondary mirror require the 600195 Delta-T controller sold separately|
|OTA Cover||To protect the primary mirror and inside of the optical tube|
|Flashdrive||Contains software and instructions for collimation and spacing the primary to secondary mirror|
|Hardware||Six 3/8-16 x 1/4″ socket head cap screws to bolt the mount to the pier, or wedge
Six 3/8-16 x 1/4″ washers
One extended length shoulder bolt for RA axis to EQ wedge alignment
|One 16′ USB cable||To connect the mount to the observatory control computer|
|One 120VAC power cable||To provide power to the mount|
|Standard Allen Key set||For tightening bolts used on the mount|
|Flashdrive||Contains PWI4 software for mount control and instructions for installation|
|Gamepad||Used for control of the mount tracking speeds for visual observing|
- Mounting Bracket for Finderscopes (125360)
- Finderscope and Mounting Bracket (6009003)
- 2 inch Mirror Diagonal (DDP-8804)
- Delta T Heater Part (600195)
- EFA Kit Electronic Focuser (240901-KIT)
- Keller EZ Saddle (600182)
- Light Shroud CDK14 (140970)
- Piggyback Dovetail Bar (140990)
- Hedrick Focuser (200340)
- IRF90 – Integrated Rotating Focuser (600180)
- Counterweights and Bracket for CDK14 (200150)
Drawings and Diagrams